Daily news for the readers of the print weekly, Lake County Leader.
Find updates, previews, breaking news and extended coverage and comments from stories happening across the Mission Valley.

www.leaderadvertiser.com

Monday, September 14, 2009

LCL Sept. 17 preview

Lake County had another weekend packed with events - the fly-in, Dayton Daze, the Valley View Reunion - Aimee Niles has a report for each of them .
I spent several hours on Friday night with members of the USS Detroit crew, in town this past weekend to celebrate their 30th reunion. It is truly amazing what this ship saw during WWII, and the men who crewed her were absolutely enthralling to listen to.
The Detroit was docked at Pearl Harbor, and escpaed with nothing be a bullet hole, throughout the war they were everywhere, ending at Tokyo Harbor to witness the signing of the Pacific Front peace treaty . They had so much fun together laughing about the mishaps and the adventure. As 87-year-old Art Herriford told me, "I wouldn't want to do it again, but we can find things to laugh about now.'
You can only imagine the stories these servicemen have to tell.
It was an honor for them to sit and tell me their story. I won't be able to tell half the stories they told me in the story. But I hope I can do their tales a little justice. I snapped a few photos too, which may end up leading A1
On the news side, we've got an update in the Metzger trial and city council updates from Ronan, St. Ignatius and Polson.
The best news for last: Ty's got a Police Blotter lined up and ready to go. Don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment